History Behind Our Name

Armin Hansen and friends Kit and Paul Whitman founded an institute by the same name in 1937. In 1939 Hansen and the Whitmans sold the institute to the Cunninghams whose connections brought well known instructors to teach at the institute.
Closed after John Cunningham’s retirement, the institute was an essential part of Carmel’s art culture for decades. Along with our name in common we share in the commitment to bring world class fine art instructors and students together for exceptional learning and teaching opportunities amidst the inspiration offered by the environs of Carmel-by-the-Sea.

Full History

Leave a Reply

Protected by WP Anti Spam